WHO WE’RE SNIFFIN’ FOR:
BARK has built the world’s fastest growing pet brand, BarkBox. We’ve served over 2 million dogs and built a customer fan base of more than 10 million people. The BARK Marketplaces team is responsible for taking BARK into online marketplaces, such as Amazon, where millions of dog parents are shopping for their dogs. BARK products are built from the dog’s eye view and are designed to make dogs as happy as possible. We’re looking for a smart, analytical, and creative Marketplaces Product Strategist to help us identify specific new product opportunities that BARK should develop to win on Amazon.
- This role will be responsible for identifying and developing new products for BARK’s Marketplaces team to sell.
- New products can either be (1) new variations of existing products in order to add more choices and expand conversion, or (2) entirely new products for BARK to launch.
- Because Marketplaces like Amazon are product search engines, the big challenge of this role is ensuring that our products are optimized to convert from search results.
- This role will see products through from analysis to launch, working with our Product Designers, Sourcing Team, and Marketing Team.
Identifying the Product Opportunity
- The primary responsibility of this role is identifying the right products to sell in the designated Marketplace, which for BARK is primarily Amazon.
- In order to identify the right products, this role will analyze the existing market and determine where we want to be positioned and what differentiating features we want to focus on.
- This will combine quantitative analysis of sales data from existing products (using available tools), with qualitative merchandising strategy.
Supporting Product Development
- Once a product opportunity is identified, this role will deliver a comprehensive Product Brief to our Product Design and Sourcing teams to begin development.
- Over the course of product development, this role will be responsible for supporting these teams with any necessary adjustments to the product brief while ensuring that the resulting product is as optimized as possible for the Marketplace.
- This role will be responsible for managing communications around the product development progress and timeline with a range of cross-team stakeholders.
Supporting Product Marketing
- This role will be the product ‘expert’ to help the Marketing team understand all the benefits of the product, and what they should emphasize when speaking to customers.
- This role will own the products right through to launch, including working with the Marketing team to ensure product marketing materials and listings are optimized to get the best conversion possible. This may involve providing direction for copy development, product photography or videos, and advertising creative.
- Must have experience with identifying and developing products for sale on Amazon.
- Strong eye for product design.
- Comfort with analyzing data in Excel, and ability to learn new quantitative skills.
- Powerful collaboration and communication skills.
- Ability to work on multiple projects, manage time in an efficient way, and prioritize key accounts.
- Understanding of or willingness to become an expert in all things dogs.
- Great at getting in the weeds, and then quickly pivoting back to top level strategy,
- Scrappy, resourceful, and determined to find solutions. A willingness to jump on problems quickly, and multi-task accordingly.
- Must love dogs